Home - ProTrevi Appuntamenti Ricettività11 E-mail ProTrevi

Church of S. Pietro of Bovara  Italiano.gif (234 byte) 

Trevi, Italy. Bovara, chiesa di S. Pietro, facciata. Trevi, Italy. Bovara, chiesa di S. Pietro, interno.
CHURCH OF S.PIETRO, 12th century, with a frieze of the 5th century. The interior comprises a barrel-vaulted nave and two cross-vaulted side-aisles. Although a 16th-century enlargement of the choir destroyed the original apsidal complex, the church still constitutes one of the most handsome examples of Romanesque in the area.

Its position by the main road has made it well visited by pilgrims, and Franciscan literature records visits by St. Francis and his companions. The vision that Brother Pacifico had of Lucifer's throne commandeered by St. Francis, painted in fresco by Giotto in the Basilica of Assisi, occurred during one of these visits, while the friar was praying before the Crucifix. For this reason the church and the CRUCIFIX of Bovara form an important stage of the Franciscan Itinerary

The attached conventual buildings of the ABBEY founded in 1158 by the Benedictines quickly rose to a great splendor. The monks were responsible for important work in draining the valley, and thus the resulting development of agriculture there.

200 meters from the abbey enclosure, toward the mountain, the thousand-year-old olive tree of St. Emiliano makes a notable presence.

The area has seen a number of archaeological finds that bear witness to very ancient settlements.

The Bovara stela. Found in the 1950's, it barely received any notice at all and was reused as building stone with the inscription on the inside of the wall. Rediscovered in the early 1980's, it is awaiting exposition in the "Raccolta d'Arte di S. Francesco".
It is a two line inscription in archaic Latin, and has not yet been fully studied.

ROMAN MOSAIC. An important witness to the Roman era settlements, it has been cited by a number of authors as having been unearthed several times and several times buried again by silt deposits. It was most recently unearthed in 1943-44; since then, it has lain undistrubed under a layer of soil slightly downstream from the very old Roman road that linked Trevi to the stone bridge over the Clitunno; the Latin adjective for "stone" (lapideus) has become the name of the village of Lapigge.

L'Abbazia benedettina            Ritorna alla pagina MONUMENTI                   Ritorna alla pagina CHIESE
Ritorna alla pagina indice           Ritorna alla pagina BOVARA                                                                        

translated by Bill Thayer

 06Z


Associazione Pro Trevi - I-06039 TREVI (PG)
E-mail: protrevi@protrevi.com
© 1996-2017 by F. Spellani
Hosting: Explica s.r.l.
Aggiornamento: 15 aprile 2016.