Home - ProTrevi Appuntamenti Ricettività11 E-mail ProTrevi

Church of S. Stefano in Manciano     giubil03.JPG (5965 byte) Jubilee Itinerary

Italiano.gif (234 byte) 

The ruins of the ancient church dedicated to St. Stephen at Manciano in the comune of Trevi are at 527 m above sea-level, on the top of S. Stefano hill overlooking the Fosso Rio, a creek forming the boundary with the comune of Foligno. During the time of the wars between the comuni, it held a strategic position as an outpost at the northern edge of Trevi territory, with a view onto Foligno and a wide swath of the valley, thus controlling the ever-important, active passes to the north-northeast of Trevi that opened onto the March of Ancona and the duchy of Camerino controlled by the Varano family. Of the church, only the outer walls remain, the elegant semi-circular apse and the crypt. Of the ancient abbey next to it only a few scattered stones have survived.


See Ex Abbazia di s. Stefano in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori.

Trevi, Italy. Manciano, Chiesa di S. Stefano, vista da sud.
Seen from the south

No trace remains of the belfry: a document of 1610 states that by then it had been struck by lightning. The building may be dated to the 12th century.
It is one of the most imposing of the very many edifices of the period. Like other churches of the period, it is perfectly oriented: the apse to the east and the façade to the west. The offset of the apse with respect to the centerline of the building and the two-door façade are evidence of a southward enlargement, which involved tearing down the right-hand wall (as you enter the church).
 

Trevi, Italy. Manciano, Chiesa di S. Stefano, interno.
The interior, overrun by brambles

 

The very fine masonry, with its nicely worked blocks of very compact local limestone, demonstrates careful construction even of the expanded part of the building.

The barrel arch of a side door in the south wall dates the expansion to a time when the polycentric Gothic arch had not yet been adopted in the region, and thus the newest part of the edifice must date back to the first half of the 13th century.

Trevi, Italy. Manciano, Chiesa di S. Stefano, porta laterale.
Side door

The doors of the façade were carefully disassembled and reset; their original appearance is not recorded.
Thru the early 1980's, on the inner face of the north wall, traces of color could still be seen on some slight chunks of surviving plaster; the springers of the three arches that once supported the ceiling cannot be identified.
Oral accounts collected in the 1970's bear witness that the church was still in use for services around 1920, if only occasionally. A hunter remembers that in 1956 a bit of roof was still in place "towards the apse": he took shelter under it during a downpour.

Further information

Back to the index page                                  Back to the CHURCHES page  

Translated by Bill Thayer ©2010

09Z


Associazione Pro Trevi - I-06039 TREVI (PG)
E-mail: protrevi@protrevi.com
© 1996-2017 by F. Spellani
Hosting: Explica s.r.l.
Aggiornamento: 15 aprile 2016.