Home - ProTrevi Appuntamenti Ricettività11 E-mail ProTrevi

Ex-church and hospital of S. Tommaso
1- The building 
Italiano.gif (234 byte)  

The building stands above the Flaminia highway, which was widened in 1961 and now occupies part of its land. The massive industrialization of the area has virtually drowned the building in a sea of little buildings, including a number of disused greenhouses; up to a quarter of century ago, the building was the only structure in an area otherwise completely given over to crops and presented a much more imposing appearance. The building may be considered as formed of three blocks, center, north, and south, built at various times and several times reworked.

Trevi, Italy. Ex lebbrosario e chiesa di S. Tommaso

 

Trevi, Italy. Ex chiesa di S. Tommaso - Epigrafe
Façade and uprights of the door of the old church. Marker placed by Abbot Filippo Valenti.

The oldest part is the ground floor of the central block, where one can make out the façade of the Romanesque church dedicated to St. Thomas. It is a beautiful structure of worked stone, in a classic Romanesque style, probably dating to the 12th century. Like the many other little churches of that period in our area, it is strictly oriented, the façade thus being sited to the west. It is surmounted by a more recent construction, probably of the second half of the nineteenth century, when the complex passed to the Congregation of Charity and was rebuilt as a farmhouse. To this same period may be attributed the construction or modification of the south block, on the side toward Parrano. The north block on the other hand, the side toward the mountain, is a very ancient structure, not much later than the church itself: it must surely have been the old leprosarium. The side toward the valley was added later and shows the exterior staircase characteristic of farmhouses in the area.

 

The stone reads:

SISTE VIATOR AC DISCE NOVUM LOCI DECUS
HIC UBI ANNO MDCCXXXIV MENSE MARTIO
MORATUS EST CAROLUS III REX HISPANIARUM
CUM AD UTRIUSQUE SICILIAE REGNI POSSESSIONEM

CAPESSENDAM PROGREDERETUR
PIUS VI PONT.MAX.
CUM VINDOBONA ROMAM REDIRET
PARUMPER CONSEDIT
A.D. III IDUS IUN. ANNI MDCCLXXXII
UT COLLEGII CANONICORUM
ET DECURIONUM TREBIATIUM
OBSEQUIA EXCIPERET
PHILIPPUS VALENTIUS
ABBAS ECCLESIAE S. THOMAE
MONUMENTUM PONI IUSSIT.

 

    which might be translated:

Halt, traveler and see the new magnificence of the place.
Here where in the month of March, 1734
Charles III King of Spain stayed,
while he was on his way to take possession
of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies,
Pius VI, Supreme Pontiff,
when he was returning to Rome from Vienna
stopped briefly on June 11, 1782
to receive the homage
of the college of canons and of the administrators of Trevi.
Filippo Valenti, abbot of the church of S. Tommaso,
had this marker erected.

 

Fleshing out the information reported in the inscription, Tiberio Natalucci notes in his memoirs that in 1814 "On May 21 Pius VII was received in the church of S. Tommaso of Trevi, and in the adjacent building he and his court were provided with a grand refreshment".1

 

Back to the index page                                  Back to the CHURCHES page  

         

Translated By Bill Thayer ©2010

09Z


Associazione Pro Trevi - I-06039 TREVI (PG)
E-mail: protrevi@protrevi.com
© 1996-2017 by F. Spellani
Hosting: Explica s.r.l.
Aggiornamento: 15 aprile 2016.
 

Note

1)Zenobi, Carlo; Storia di Trevi 1746-1946, Foligno, 1987, p. 130